Johnson’s festival picks plus the the rest of the best gigs this week.
How to get in on the long sold-out event PLUS one of the most important So Cal punk bands plays Montreal.
* Albert Dumouchel retrospective at Galerie A. Piroir
* Napalm Death play Club Soda with Voivod and more
* Martial Canterel with Automelodi and Xarah Dion at La Vitrola
*#BlackLivesMatter performance night with Howl! and Kalmunity
* City Music with DJ Rollie at NDQ
* Slut Island presents Kate’s Bush with Frankie Teardrop at Bar Le Ritz PDB
There are plenty of shows and DJ nights happening this week so if you want to beat that cabin fever get your ass off the couch and get out there.
* Metallica, Voivod, Babymetal & more at Heavy Montreal
* Snowpiercer at Cinéma du Parc
* Dykes Against Austerity March
* Essaie Pas & Police des Moeurs launch a record
* Freak & Fabulous tattoo/cabaret/music sideshow
* Radical Reading Fair at Concordia
* ABC:MTL’s Heritage Montreal at CCA
* Babette Mangolte’s solo show at VOX
* PARA Site at Studio XX for Wired Women
* Double vernissage at Centre Clark
* Ellen Allien and Miss Kittin at Igloofest
* Godspell christens Beautiful City Theatre
* The NOAH screens The Cremator
* New Voivod LP listening party at Café Chaos
* Hush with DJ Ledisko at Blizzarts
A pair of concrete / drone records for the coldest / darkest time of the year — namely VagusNerve’s Go Back to the Sirius and Dieter Moebius & Asmus Tietchens’ self-titled debut. Plus a pile of recommended shows and DJ nights over the next seven days, from Chelsea Wolfe tonight to the reunion of Hot Water Music next Monday.
Heavy MTL’s fourth festival in five years turned Montreal up to 11 many times over the course of the weekend, with a significant heaping of major mainstream acts attracting a record number of concert-goers. Despite calls for bad weather and a rash of cancellations (Lamb of God, Dethklok, High on Fire), the festival was nothing if not well attended.
Usually I count down the days until the annual Heavy MTL festival, which gets underway early Saturday and ends late on Sunday. Having seen some incredible sets there by Voivod, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, High on Fire, Slayer and more, I’m truly thankful for the organizers who plant this annual two-day event in my backyard. […]