An incredibly timely, nearly-perfect synthesis of all the odd, contradictory things that define Spike Lee as a filmmaker.
See our festival highlights including an appearance by a very special guest of honour.
The true story of a black man infiltrating the KKK seethes more than it rages.
*Cinéma Urbain screens Do the Right Thing
*Love in Outer Space jazz and blues night at Casa
*The Smashing Pumpkins at the Bell Centre
*Festival Présence Autochtone opening night
Reviews of BlacKkKlansman and Girls of the Sun, fresh from Cannes.
Features and documentaries from around the world are screening as part of the festival from Sept. 28 to Oct. 2.
* Spike Lee brings his new vampire film to the Black Film Festival
* Comedian Aamer Rahman headlines a free stand-up show at Concordia
* Graphic Novel Book Club at Drawn & Quarterly
* Beaux Dégâts art-off at Foufounes Electriques
* Indie pop band the Drums play Cabaret du Mile End
One of the city’s youngest film festivals takes a leap into the big time with a guest appearance by Spike Lee and several highly anticipated films.
Spike Lee’s remake of Park Chan-wook’s 2003 revenge flick Oldboy is pretty unnecessary.
* Cinema Politica screen Insurgence
* Oldboy at the PHI Centre
* Béni BBQ at Casa del Popolo
* There’s Something Funny Going On at Blue Dog
* Speakeasy Burlesque’s Cosmic/Psychedelic Trip