An interview with singer Catherine McCandless about the personal motivation and gear acquisition that makes their fifth album so great.
We spoke to the Giller Prize winner (& Montreal’s #3 Best Author in the Best of MTL poll) about how the next level of recognition is treating him and his next novel.
* Apt. 200 launch their summer menu
* TRACÉ/MAPPED: Trajectories of musicians in Montreal at Espace Pop
* Sean Michaels book launch at Cardinal Tea Room
* RIDM’s Docville series screen The Unknown Known
* Iggy Azalea plays the Corona Theatre
* The Howl Arts festival begins with a benefit show at La Vitrola
Launching in Montreal this week, Sean Michaels’ Us Conductors recounts the story behind one of the world’s weirdest musical instruments.
* Beaux Dégâts art slam at Foufounes Électriques
* “Harmonielehre” at the Satosphere
* Yarn storytelling at Le Cagibi
* The Hidden Cameras play Il Motore
* Black Atlass fetes his new EP at Apt. 200
The Montreal writer, of Said the Gramophone fame, tells us about his forthcoming debut novel (about the invention of the theremin!), and the storytelling event he’s involved in this week.
Here’s what not to miss at the 15th edition of Montreal’s biggest annual literary love-in.
The fifth edition of the m60 one-minute film festival unspooled last weekend. Our correspondent talks to the festival organizers
In a town awash with film festivals, it can be hard to stand out. But only one fest has no admission fee, no jury, and a strict length requirement of one minute. The Montreal 60 Second Film Festival (M60), currently celebrating its fifth year of existence, is throwing a party tonight, Thursday July 18, at which prospective filmmakers can sign up to participate, and are given one month to create their minute- long masterwork.