Listen to the best tunes made in Montreal this year.
We spoke to Boeckner about Operators’ stellar debut album, the Wolf Parade reunion, the return of Divine Fits and the end of Canada’s Gold Rush.
Ring it in right.
* Sarah Gerard launches Binary Star at Drawn & Quarterly
* Jeremy Shantz Vernissage + Live Painting at SuWu
* The New Pornographers with openers Operators at Corona Theatre
* The Sidekicks with openers LVL UP and Nanimal at Casa
* GrandBuda and Montrilla on deck for A$AP Wednesday at Salon Officiel
Our second batch of write-ups and pics from the local music scene festival.
* One-night-only Centipede street art show
* Metatron launches five new books at Drawn & Quarterly
* Buffalo Juggalos screens at RIDM
* 19 shows at the M for Montreal music fest — see our top 3
* Music Is My Sanctuary’s U.K. garage night at le Bleury
There’ll be a little M for Magic in the bars and clubs this week as M for Montreal takes over. Here are our picks for the best of the fest.
* Boyhood & Slums at Cinéma du Parc
* Future Islands & Operators play Metropolis
* Extreme labour doc Workingman’s Death screens at Place de la Paix
* Florida’s Set and Setting play with Atsuko Chiba and Christ (!) at Casa
A year after the flood that devastated the city and its festival of cool music, the week-long event (Cow-Town’s answer to Pop Montreal) went down almost perfectly.
From National Drone Day (today!) to spin-offs of Starvin’ Hungry, Wolf Parade and Quest for Fire to album launches & cult-movie screenings — see Johnson’s recommendations here.