Local supergroup / tribute band Tommy Youngsteen play an all-Petty show the night prior to the real thing’s descent on the Bell Centre. In Mile End. For a fraction of the price.
On While the Engines Burn, the local country balladeer sings about the industrial revolution in 19th century Canada, addressing the concessions that humanity makes in the face of progress and money.
* Buy Nothing Day!
* Jamie Q book party at Monastiraki
* Record shop l’Oblique turns 25
* The Pipeline at Infinithéâtre
* Neo-soul guru Gizmo at Phi Centre
* Montreal punks The Normals play for free
* Bloodshot Bill’s greasy one-man band at Sala
* Neil Young and Patti Smith at Bell Centre
The rock icon wanders through his memories in a digressive, long-winded autobiography that frustrates as much as it enlightens, but that will delight fans of his mercurial career.
Jonathan Demme’s concert film/documentary on the Canadian rock icon tries some weird cinematic tricks, making it fundamentally a film for hardcore Young fans.