You will jump off the couch when you hear about these gigs. PLUS: Another festival!
This week’s gigs feature metal royalty, garage kerrang, darkwave, coldwave and raucous rawk guaranteed to obliterate your mind.
* Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict at Cinéma du Parc
* Artinest MTL art scene hangout
* Visions short film screenings in conjunction with RIDM
* EL VY (the National/Menomena side project) play le Fairmount
* King Khan & BBQ Show play Bar le Ritz PDB
The top punk, metal, noise and indie rock shows in Montreal.
* Julius Caesar at Parc Lafontaine’s Calixa Lavallée Theatre
* Michael Martini’s Rose Quartz at MainLine Theatre
* The Norton Caravan of Stars at le Belmont
* Montreal act Expwy plays its last show at l’Escogriffe
* French DJ the Hacker drops in at the SAT
This week, see legendary local & British acts, scrappy new bands from NYC to Sackville, stoners & crooners & the launch of a book about an indelible punk brand.
Shake your motherlovin’ tailfeather to the sound and sight of Ike & Tina: On the Road 1971-72, a newly released film from MVD Entertainment, shot in the soul power couple’s heyday by Bob Gruen. Also, the week in heavy shows and holiday parties.
Before I hip you all to the week’s best shows, let me go through my stack of new wax and pull out a few records that are just too good not to mention.
First up is the sophomore record from Winnipeg prog kings Mahogany Frog: Senna. If you were lucky enough to catch this four-headed hydra at the last two editions of Pop Montreal or their stellar show at the long-gone Bar St-Laurent II, you probably already know that the Frog is Canada’s best-kept secret.
* Cheap movies at Dollar Cinema
* Custom creations at Poutineville
* Rock ‘n’ roll DJs at Night Hammer
* Cuban music at jazz club Diese Onze
I recently got a new set of pajamas. I’d been wearing my old pair for at least a decade and change, but after numerous washings in questionable quarter-slot Laundromats, they finally became threadbare and started falling apart. I could live with the fact that I was greeting my mailman each day looking like a shipwrecked […]