The best free shows and worthwhile investments at the FrancoFolies music festival.
* Toboggan Derby on Mount Royal
* Animal portraiture vernissage at Galerie Youn
* MUTEK edition of Hivernale
* Israeli reggae band Zvuloon Dub System play the Rialto
* FRO Festival kicks off with Dead Prez’s M-1 & more
* Shash’U’s all-star EP launch party at le Belmont
M for Mikey reports from the 416 on the scenesters, Montreal rising stars and holy men, ubiquitous Stills alumni, Sacto buds and awkward saliva-swapping and urinal spying at Canadian Music Week.
On this most romantic of days, we conducted an unofficial straw poll of 15 Montreal artists (and one from Quebec) to find out what their favourite love songs are. So line these videos up back to back and prepare for a sure-to-be fascinating night of babymaking.
In an attempt to make up for our lack of francophonics, we dig into Fox by Quebec star Karim Ouellet, and kind of like what we find. Also, a track by the Canadian band with the American nightmare name (Lee Harvey Osmond) and even more Can-con in the form of a new video from an aging record by Fucked Up.