* Jenny Lewis with la Force
* FriDAY Of The DEaD
* World of The Cure Halloween Dance Party
Don’t fall into the festival hole or frosh hell — these are the best gigs in town this week(end).
The lowdown on the inaugural edition of the city’s punk rock festival.
* Unsilent Night sound sculpture at Carré St-Louis
* Artist talks at Diagonale
* Autour de la Flûte perform at Cardinal Tea Room
* Patrick Watson plays Metropolis
* The Ladies & Gentlemen Comedy Show at Shäika
* Playboi Carti plays Petit Olympia
It’s been just shy of two decades (yeesh) since I started DJing at watering holes around the city. Spinning discs and getting wobbly is about as much fun as a vinyl fiend/beer drinker can possibly have. I’ve travelled all over God’s green acre and propped up bars in many towns, and I can also say that no matter what genre of music you’re digging, Montreal’s fine pedigree of disc jockeys can easily go toe to toe with the best of ’em. Of course, I’m not talking beat-matching floor-fillers here, I’m talking about eclectic mixes that satisfy as much as they challenge — and, most importantly, go great with a frosty pint.