PLUS More great shows from fine local bands, including a single launch by one of this city’s brightest gems.
Listen to the best tunes made in Montreal this year.
Director Mitchell Stafiej tells us about the appeal of working with musicians and the nightmarish haze depicted in A – The Movie.
* Roméo Onze and Rebelle
* Media doc Shadows of Liberty
* Dream Affair, Automelodi, Tiers and Police des moeurs at Katacombes
* En Cachette’s first b-day, w/ DJ Godfather D and more
* Mouse on Mars, Femminielli, Noir and DJ CFCF at Il Motore
The new record by Femminielli, via Craigslist Missed Connections, plus a track by understated British singer/producer Kwes and a celebration of cheap cigarettes and no-fi VHS visuals.
* U.S. punk legends Social Distortion
* Pantha du Prince at SAT
* Lo-fi psych rockers Sic Alps
* Multidisciplinary performer Maryse Poulin
* Athina Rachel Tsangari films
* Theatre grads stage Human Cannon
* It’s Montreal vs. the ‘peg in the CFL’s Thanksgiving Day Classic
* Give thanks for the punk/oi! triple threat at Katacombes
* Get your sonic gravy via Vancouver’s Bend Sinister
* Make it saucy with a screening of Last Tango in Paris
* Savour the sweet selections of DJ Femminielli at Casa
Los Escuadrones de la Muerte have yet to play a show have no recorded material available to listen to, but given the respective pedigrees of the newly minted band’s three members, they’re worth watching out for. The “Death Squad” will be popping its concert cherry tonight.
* New Rant Line™
* Fantasia’s final day
* Entre Nymphes and Nerfs vernissage
* Skate or Die film series
* Comedy and hip hop at Underworld
* Weird and wonderful sounds at Casa
Usually I count down the days until the annual Heavy MTL festival, which gets underway early Saturday and ends late on Sunday. Having seen some incredible sets there by Voivod, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, High on Fire, Slayer and more, I’m truly thankful for the organizers who plant this annual two-day event in my backyard. […]