Highlights of the cultural and historical programming, and how to take part in a respectful way
*Freak Heat Waves, Kristian North and Kara Keith play Club Balattou
*Ethik Eco-Design Hub fashion show, conference and clothing swap
*Mont-Royal Avenue’s second summer street sale
*MUTEK’s second Nocturne event at SAT
*Cinema Sous Les Etoiles screens This Is Congo
One of Johnson’s favourite live bands ever is playing this week, along with hardcore legends, locals launching records & more.
We spoke to the Montreal trio about their new single. PLUS: Listen to the dub version of the song here.
The African-music nightclub and showbar that made an indelible mark on Montreal begins its 30th anniversary celebration this week.
* Arsenal Gallery’s Cultural Tuesday
* ShortStanding Festival at Freestanding Room
* Club Balattou’s 10th annual Syli d’Or fest
* Ladies and Gentlemen Comedy Show at Café Shaika
* Pawa Up First play Bar le Ritz PDB
Hear cultures in harmony at the festival of homegrown world music.
* Day one of La virée des ateliers
* The Scrivener Creative Review launch party at Kafein
* Allie X performance and two-day residency launch at the Phi Centre
* Albert Maysles’ film Iris screens at Excentris
* Body Meta brings the Afrodisiac party to Club Balattou
* Blue Hawaii, Project Pablo and Bataille Solaire DJ at Datcha
* The Future of the CBC panel discussion
* Studio Béluga wraps its Art Up residency at Théâtre Sainte Catherine
* Malcolm X documentary Make It Plain screens at the MAI
* Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski doc My Best Fiend screens at the Phi Centre
* Essouma Long and Static Gold play Club Balattou
* See Cannes Lions (award-winning international ads) at Cinéma du Parc
* Norman Nawrocki & friends play N’s Non-Xmas Show at Casa del Popolo
* Ebola, ça me concerne benefit show at Balattou
* Bass Drive holiday/Tuesday edition at le Belmont