A strong lead and show-stealing villain make the 21st Marvel movie compelling, but it still feels like a cog in a machine.
Even worse, this latest version winds up reproducing the very ideologies it purports to critique.
Steven Spielberg’s adaption of Ernest Cline’s novel is possibly the ultimate exercise in pandering.
Yes that’s Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in Joe Wright’s handy complement to Dunkirk.
This “Star Wars Story” is a men-(and woman)-on-a-mission movie that’s also the bleakest entry in the entire franchise.
* Mississippi Grind at Dollar Cinema
* The Kingpins headline the Montreal Ska Festival
* Big Shiny Tunes 2 live at Bar le Ritz PDB
* U.K. post-punks the Chameleons play Katacombes
* Heavy Petting Zoo burlesque show at the Wiggle Room
Starred Up, screening in Montreal tonight and tomorrow, is all Brit, grit and gangstas.
The Place Beyond the Pines, from Blue Valentine writer/director Derek Cianfrance, is an unpredictable story with a heavy-duty cast.