Masters of metal and Montreal bands dominate our weekly rundown of the best shows in town.
Our punk/rawk/metal/noise/weird-pop columnist’s weekly heaviosity heat map.
Never mind Nevermind. Failure’s 1996 swan song Fantastic Planet is a far superior meeting point of punk, pop and pain.
* Alexandraplatz hosts a Mile Ex block party
* Oh, Ophelia! submersion photography show vernissage
* Blue Light Burlesque at Café Campus
* Bruk Out feat. selectors the Salivation Army & Cadence Weapon
* Avec le Soleil Sortant de sa Bouche album launch at la Vitrola
* Let the Music Play old-school beats boat party
* Interactive doc game Fort McMoney
* The Holocaust Museum screen The Lady in Number 6
* Cinema Politica screen The Beginning & Taksim Commune
* Avec le Soleil Sortant de sa Bouche play Casa del Popolo
Heavy bands and Johnson’s favourite DJ play the Casa/Sala axis over the next four days. PLUS: A house show you don’t want to miss.
The music festival that presents local talent to international industry types and invites hometown fans to the party runs this Wednesday through Saturday. See our recommendations here.
* Dr. Sketchy life drawing workshop in Fringe Park
* We make some Fringe Festival suggestions
* Advanced screening of Before Midnight at the PHI Centre
* Cinéma 17 screens Jonathan Caouette’s Tarnation
* Rhys Chatham drops in for Suoni per il Popolo
Last Friday at Metropolis, a giant among men restored rock ’n’ roll’s primal power, honesty and soul. And you probably missed it. PLUS this week in live punk, metal, avant garde and rock, readings, DJ nights and more.