A report on Slayer, Slash, Anthrax, Fu Manchu and more of Sunday’s sonic mayhem.
At this point, if you still don’t know who Mike Watt is, I’m afraid we can no longer be Facebook friends. Watt is a punk fuggin’ rock vanguard and bass player extraordinaire. The man’s pedigree speaks for itself — Minutemen (!!!!!!), firehose, solo artist and, for the past five years, “thunderbroom” player for the Stooges. The motherfuggin’ Stooges fer chrissakes!!!!!!
Not one to rest on his laurels, Watt has just released a book of his nautical-themed photographs, with the odd “spiel” tossed in for good measure. It’s called On and Off Bass, published by Three Rooms Press (100 pp, $26). I highly suggest you get your mitts on it, as it’s guaranteed to spruce up any coffee table. While we’re at it, another great Watt title that is definitely worth hunting down would be his 2003 book Spiels of a Minuteman, from local publisher L’Oie de Cravan.
* Fonderie Darling fêtes fall season
* Anthrax and Testament at Metropolis
* Akoreacro’s Pfffffff in its last week
* Willis Earl Beal w/ Majical Cloudz and Expwy at Il Motore
* Brigitte Nielson Society opens La Jeune fille et la morve
* Harry Standjofski premieres August, An Afternoon in the Country