The Best Picture Oscar should go to one of two objectively superior and incredibly relevant films.
We spoke to filmmaker Ciro Guerra about his Amazonian odyssey, Embrace of the Serpent.
See how our readers voted in such alternative Oscar categories as Worst Performance, Hottest Actress, Most Obvious Failed Attempt at Oscar Bait and Best Grossout.
* Nas: Time Is Illmatic documentary & hip hop discussion at the Phi Centre
* One-man sci-fi play We Are Not Alone begins at the Segal Centre
* Last chance to catch Paul Van Dyck’s The Nisei & the Narnauks at the MAI
* Cinéma du Parc screens the Oscars live (free)
* Halifax rapper Ghettosocks & a stack of openers play the Blue Dog Motel
He’s been the darling of Cannes since the release of his first film in 2008, but now Xavier Dolan could actually net film’s biggest prize.
We spoke to local award-winning filmmakers about how their high-risk creative pursuits made it to Hollywood.
See our readers’ choices in our alt-Oscar categories, among them Most Overlooked, Most Overrated, Best Comedy, Best Sex Scene and Worst Performance.
Congrats to the Montrealers who won last night, and even those who didn’t but were lucky enough to attend. Actually, what am I saying? That show was kinda shit.
* Join the Academy Rewards challenge
* Watch the Oscars at Cinéma du Parc
* The Noah screens a cat double bill
* Cool Fest at Il Motore
Vote in our second annual Academy Rewards for a chance to win prizes. Details inside.